Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2016

LAND OF SILENCE by TESSA AFSHAR

The book grabbed my attention from the very beginning. As Elianna and her little brother , Joseph were enjoying the outdoors, I could smell the flowers and see the beauty that surrounded them. Elianna has been entrusted by her mother to watch over her brother for the day. When something distracts her, Joseph is attacked. What attacked him? What made Elianna divert her attention from the care of her brother? The anger her father thrust at her was so well written. I applaud the author for writing such an emotional scene that made me want to tell Elianna it would be ok. I saw her standing there begging her parents to forgive her for her lack of attention to her brother. I can't inagibe what it must have felt like to feel the wrath of her father and realize you are to blame for the unfortunate accident.

I loved the author telling readers what Elianna means from the Hebrew word. "Eli" which means "my God" and "Anna" which signifies " favor." What a blessed name to have which " was a sign of God's favor and grace to my parents."  I'm sure that Elianna wasn't feeling favored at this time. What a burden she must be feeling now. What punishment will she receive for this terrible accident? The Pharisee believed that she will be punished for her negligence.

The details of the blankets, and towels that Elianna's family made were brilliantly detailed to such a degree that I could see the women making them as they chatted with each other. The authors' knowledge of the trade is well defined as she goes into great detail . The more I read of this story, the more I realized how talented and gifted the author is.

The story is a fictional account of the woman we read about in the bible with the issue of blood. I remember this story so vividly because it talked about the desperation of a woman who wanted to be healed. She believed with all her heart that Jesus would heal her. Do we have that kind of faith when we are sick or struggling with something?

Elianna is the woman we read about in the bible that is afflicted with a bleeding illness. In this story she spend years and lots of money trying to find a cure for her illness. She spends a lot of time  praying for healing. At a time of desperation, she travels to hear Jesus speak, thinking if she could just touch his clothing, she would be healed. She plans to touch his clothing and be healed without anyone knowing.

The author has done a lot of research to make the story true to the time in history.I highly  recommend this book to anyone who needs to be encouraged. The story is a reflection of healing, faith, unconditional love and the suffering that a woman endures while clinging to hope.

"Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace . "

I received a copy of this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment