Search This Blog

Saturday, August 13, 2016

DEATHWATCH by V. B. TENERY

I am a big fan of WWII books especially when they have espionage in them. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the story takes readers to different areas such as London, France and North Africa. I felt like I was able to travel with the characters as their adventure began with a well developed story. I love when an author goes into details about a historical time and makes the story come to life. I got me a cup of hot chocolate with peppermint creamer and sat back ready to visit these faraway places.

The first thing I found out was there were code breakers for  Britain. They were extremely intelligent and highly trained. They knew they had dangerous information and took precautions to keep the secrets safe. I loved how the author really gave a vivid description of these hard working behind the scenes workers.

Sometimes you can do everything possible to keep yourself safe from the enemy but unfortunately Jacky Vidal was not lucky enough to fight off her attackers. What  did she know that someone was willing to kill for? Her friend Grace Sullivan discovers Jacky and knows her own life is now in danger. Grey M16 agent Commander among other high ranking officials have come to investigate the death. They have even called in Scotland Yard so this must be a serious threat to the world. When Grace and Grey meet I loved their  interactions. Grace is a fiesty woman who does not care to be treated like an uneducated woman. Grey better look out. I think he is going to have his hands full with her.

The information that is so secretive could be catastrophic if it got into the hands of Hither.  As devious as he is that could could damage England by not having information on troop and ship movements. That could be devastating for them and lives could be lost. What if Hitler  decides to change the code and send out false information? Could he start a war that was based on lies? The race is in to find the killer and to stop any information being leaked to the enemy.

As a side note I have to mention the breakfast that Grey and Grace had. The mere mention of spam sent me back to my childhood. I can remember having fried spam sandwiches for lunch. I grew tired of them but after reading the  book, I went to the store and bought a can of spam. Thank you for that memory which I had almost forgotten about.

As we get deeper into the story it becomes apparent that Grace's life is in dire danger. Can Grey keep her safe? Will they be able to find the killer before it is to late? Did Jacky divulge any secrets before her death? The story is well written with a look into war and the dangers it involves. I was a bit surprised at the killer but that just makes the story more intriguing. The story is action packed and the characters are well developed and add intrigue to the story. The question is who can Grey trust while trying to keep Grace  alive? Get ready for an adventure that will take you to different places, danger lurks at every corner and trust and faith must be relied on to survive.

I received a copy of this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment