Search This Blog

Monday, August 3, 2020

About the Book

Book:  Fierce Wholeness
Author: Robin Meade
Genre:  Nonfiction
Release Date: March 5, 2020
When the Bible talks about the third- and fourth-generational curse, that’s so true. If the curse is not broken by you, then who will stop it dead in its tracks? Dealing with forgotten pain, things you stuff down just to survive, is serious business. But that’s what Robin Meade did. Growing up, she was criticized, put down, and stomped on—by her own family. She chose to bury her pain.
Fierce Wholeness: Finding Myself after Childhood Emotional Trauma is Robin’s story—in all of its raw and messy but authentic and beautiful transparency as she unpacks the trajectory of her life from childhood to adulthood and seeks to repair the dam that had been busted, the riverbed that had been washed away, the landscape that had been obliterated by her family of origin.
Readers who grew up in the clutches of the branches of emotional abuse will be empowered by Robin’s story because of the freedom that Jesus gives. Robin’s story is raw and authentic, and readers will be encouraged by how they too can find fierce wholeness in Christ.

Click here to get your copy!
 MY REVIEW 
I wanted to rush through this book as fast as I could. I didn’t want to read about abuse or even have to think about it. God knew there was a reason this book was in my hand and so my journey began. I could relate to the author in ways I had forgotten about. I grew up in a very violent , abusive home. My oldest brother and father inflicted physical and emotional pain on me on a daily basis. What I blocked out was the extreme emotional abuse my mother had inflicted on me. As the author talked about how her mother controlled every aspect of her growing up, I also knew how difficult it was for her to endure this injustice. 

It’s funny how the author talks about her religious beliefs growing up because my dad was a pastor. Like the author, I was there every time the church doors opened. I questioned how you dad the pastor could speak such love and compassion, then come home and abuse his daughter. The author’s mother seemed to set the tone for the family and she was quite verbal in her dislike of things . 
It was sad to read how the author’s parents were concerned about how they were perceived by others and expected their children to act a certain way. Oh how well I know the secrets that were hidden in our family so the church would never know the truth.  The author’s family was certainly dysfunctional and as time went on that way of life would come to affect her adult life. Her relationships never lasted, her self esteem was at its lowest and she was spiraling out of control. 

This part of the book is where I wanted to finally be able to breathe. I wanted our similar backgrounds to find a way to feel freedom. The only way to find that was through God. Yes at times I also thought God had abandoned me. Did he care that I was a shell of myself? The answer is simple. Yes He cares and the author gives us a look at the steps she took to get back her most important relationship. The author’s experiences with churches seems to be a common thing today. I also had several bad experiences at churches which I used to explain why I didn’t want to go anymore. 

The book is encouraging and I enjoyed reading a story that was transparent, healing and guiding readers to God. Forgiveness is a hard subject for us   but at some point forgiveness needs to happen. When we choose to forgive, we are set free from hurt. I appreciate how honest the author was with her struggles and I hope at some point I can purchase the workbook that goes with this book. 

“No matter where you are or what situation you’re in, God doesn’t want anyone to remain in relationships that are harmful.”

I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit. The review is my own opinion. 

About the  Author

Robin Meade grew up in Grand Rapids, Michigan, but now she walks with God in the beautiful suburbs of Chicago. For nearly five years she has led and taught as part of the women’s ministry team at New Life Brookfield Church. She loves her dog and great food, but mostly she loves Jesus, and strives to encourage people to experience God’s restorative healing and for God to be glorified through it.



More from Robin

There’s a level of ‘fierce’ that we all need to reach in our journey with Christ; to be real about the journey.  When you experience abuse as a child, there is a ‘normal’ way of perceiving your surroundings that’s set, and if not corrected, stays with you into adulthood.  My desire for this book is that people who have suffered childhood emotional abuse know they are not alone, that they can experience of healing through a relationship with Jesus Christ.  The Bible talks about being ready to give an account and running the race striving for first place and working out our salvation with fear and trembling – some of that has been lost in our Christian culture.  Jesus isn’t a wimp or a doormat because he is kind and forgiving and neither should we be.  I hope my story will be a blessing to many in their faith walk, to get to their level of ‘fierce’.

Blog Stops

My Devotional Thoughts, August 4 (Author Interview)
Genesis 5020, August 5
Blossoms and Blessings, August 7 (Author Interview)
Simple Harvest Reads, August 10 (Author Interview)
Artistic Nobody, August 11  (Guest Review from Joni Truex)
For the Love of Literature, August 13 (Author Interview)
Library Lady’s Kid Lit, August 16 (Author Interview)

Giveaway

To celebrate her tour, Robin is giving away the grand prize package of a basket with a signed copy of the book, the Fierce Wholeness Companion Journal, and $10 gift cards to Joann’s, Starbucks, Amazon and a stuffed moose!!
Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could use this book about now, thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds good. A lot of people can probably relate to the emotional abuse. Thanks for the chance.

    ReplyDelete