Search This Blog

Thursday, November 19, 2015

A CUP OF DUST by SUSIE FINKBEINER

I had heard a lot about this book. It was very well publicized in bookstores and social networks. When I received notice that I would be reading this book, I was beyond excitement. This story captured the long ago memories of my granddad who had a farm in the Oklahoma Panhandle. I would spend two weeks every summer there as I explored his two-hundred acres. This story helped remind me of a great childhood memory.

Pearl is a curious ten year old who seems wiser than her years. Her dad is the local sheriff and is a hero to many. Everyone knows her family and respects them. Pearl  has a best friend named Ray. They go everywhere together as they explore the town and share their thoughts.  I remember there being lots of jackrabbits on my grand dad's farm and of course seeing one all fried up and ready to eat at the dinner table. I was never able to eat one. The author wrote a very vivid account of what people use to do to rid the farms of the pesky critters. Pearl had tears streaming down her face as she witnessed this event and gave her such an innocence that I could actually visualize her openly grieving for the animals. The author does an amazing job of describing this time period with honesty and realism. Some may not care for the vivid details, but without them the true understanding of this era would be lost.

There is a strange man that has come to Pearl's town. He sure does seem to know her. Who is this man? Will he be a danger to Peal? The story is so mesmerizing , that I picture myself at Pearl's house surrounded by her loving family. They live a simple life with a strong family bond.  The dust storms were fierce and seemed to cover the town like a dome. It was hard for people to breathe in the dust storm and the preacher of the town said, "It's the wrath of God Almighty pouring  down on us. " We best get on our knees and beg God to take us back. Beg Him to forgive our sins and to take us back."  The preacher is a great character written with strong convictions and a bit of  a dramatic flair. Can you imagine sitting there listening to the preacher shouting at the top of his lungs that we all need to repent?

There are so many interesting characters in the book and such outstanding writing that I could not put this book down. I must say I was very intrigued with who this man named Eddie was. Why did he appear out of nowhere and seem to follow Pearl? There is a deep secret that will soon turn many lives upside down. There is a storm brewing in the town . Is it another dust storm or something hidden for  many years that will cause Pearl much hurt and a sense of being lost and unloved?

I am completely overwhelmed by the intricate writing of this story. Be ready to be swept back to a time period that was hard to live in with struggles to keep food on the table, dust storms that literally take your breath away and characters so real, you feel as if you are watching a show from "Little House on the Prairie." I am now a huge fan of this author. I will anxiously be waiting for another book from her.

I received a copy of this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review.A

No comments:

Post a Comment