Search This Blog

Thursday, May 12, 2016

FAITH OF A FATHER BY FRANK BARBEHENN

Have you ever read a book that touched you so deeply, that after finishing it all you could do was cry. This book was one of the most powerful and touching books I've read in a very long time on a subject that is difficult to talk about. The author had  real questions about if there really was a God as he struggled through trauma growing up. I'm sure it was very difficult to have an alcoholic mother who didn't seem to care about him and an emotionally abusive father. It's hard to feel like anyone cares when you feel unloved .

I was so impressed how the author found scriptures that helped him through this difficult time in his life. He found his way to God and realized that his belief was in the truth that Jesus came back to life. With that knowledge how could he not believe that God existed?  The book is a letter to his daughter but for many of us it is a letter of healing , forgiveness and hope. He explains that although there was a time he cried out for protection and a feeling of rage, that we must remember as victims it is not our fault. It is so easy to say "If I had done this differently , maybe I would not have been treated so badly." There is no truth in that and it is never the victims fault. " Courage, real courage , is no quick fix. It doesn't come in a bottle or a pill. It comes from discipline. From taking everything life hands you and being your best either because of it or in spite if it." That statement really hit home for me. Through everything I went through as a child I always tell people I would not change a thing. It made me stronger and gave me a deeper trust in God. I believe things happen for a reason.


The author endured many traumas but I admire that he was able to find courage and with it came joy and hope. His love for God, his children and grandchildren is evident as he shares his story. He has given them a legacy that shows how no matter what you go through , God is there. He loves you and He will never leave you. The book is one I will return to often to give me encouragement as I strive to overcome my childhood trauma. Thank you for writing such a beautiful book that reminds us that God loves us and we are free. We don't have to live with  emotional pain, but can be set free .

I received a copy of this amazing book from The BookClub Network for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment