Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2016

BATTERED HOPE by CAROL GRAHAM

From the beginning pages my adrenaline was high as I began to read an unforgettable story of pain, loss, hurt, deceit, faith , trust, forgiveness and survival. I thought about Job in the bible. It seemed like the more he went through , the more he lost and  the more his faith grew. That statement can be said for Carol and her husband. As you read her story you may wonder how could they survive all they had to endure? The simple answer is their faith and trust in God.

She talked about her first husband Joe who she thought would be the perfect husband. The further into her marriage she got, the more she saw what kind of person Joe really was. The horrible mind games, and other unspeakable acts he did to Carol broke my heart. How can someone you think loves you do such demeaning things to you? Being in a controlling relationship is difficult and hard to get away from. What if your spouse forbid you to go to your mother's funeral? I could feel the despair Carol was having as she decided that she had to get out of her marriage. Will she be safe once she is divorced from him?

When Carol met her new husband Paul, she thought everything was going to be good now. But life has a way of changing things . They both had fathers that were pastors and they shared a strong belief in God. Trusting  someone can be difficult at times.  They  became partners with someone in the diamond business. I can't imagine the pain they felt when they realized their partner had swindled them. How do you go on when you have lost everything?

I especially liked the part about Paul hearing from God speaking words that protected him from harm. Do we dismiss God when He  speaks to us? As I got deeper into the story I realized just how true it is that "God will never leave  you nor forsake you." There is a great lesson about forgiveness throughout the book. What would it feel like to go to your pastor and ask for forgiveness , and their response is, "We don't forgive you?" That hit home for me as I have experienced that very thing. When we ask to be forgiven and the person chooses not to, then that is on them. It took me awhile to understand that but it was a painful but needed lesson for me.

The book is filled with many trials that could make any of us give up, but I loved Carol and Paul's unwavering faith. Though at times hopelessness could sneak in, they overcame every obstacle . Sometimes I wondered how much more could they endure? It is a powerful book that encourages each of us to never give up, hold strong to your faith and trust that God has a destiny for you.

"You must be an extraordinary purpose for your lives and someday you will understand. I know you will help a lot of people who will draw strength from your experiences. You, too, will be stronger for having survived and it will help you as you go through life."

I received a copy of this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your review and kind words regarding my book. I am glad that the message of forgiveness was clear to anyone reading it. You took a great deal of time to write a long review and I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete