Search This Blog

Thursday, September 29, 2016

TELL ME EVERYTHING by JASON C. HELVESTON

This was a very intriguing book for me to read. Like the author, my dad was a pastor . I remember growing up thinking and was told that I had to be this perfect little girl and never let anyone see me do anything wrong. It was a lot of pressure but I was so afraid to disappoint God or my parents, that I became a very quiet person. As I grew up and started taking my kids to church , it seemed like things were so different in church . I always remember people saying "Oh yeah, I will pray for you," then walk away. I wondered if they really pray for me during the week and why didn't they just pray for me when I asked?

The author has really opened my eyes to what Christianity truly means and I loved how he related it to stories in his own personal life. I think we can get so caught up in "the religion" that we forget we need to have a relationship with Jesus. I think about how wonderful it would have been  to sit and listen to Jesus tell his story. Can you imagine the impact it would have on you? The author does a great job of making the book relatable and at times a bit funny. It's interesting how we all are given the free will to choose to follow Him, but kinda have our own agendas. The author has written a book that is easy to read, but gives you things to really study and think about. I love to be challenged and I appreciate the openness that the author shared. When you really think about it, isn't the story about Jesus one where we have a relationship with Him? We are His hands and feet and we are to follow Him. The key is to have that personal relationship with Him.

Just like He made each of us unique, He also gave each of us our own story. Some of us have gone through trials but with those trials comes  our testimony, our own unique story to tell. I really enjoy this book and it has helped me see the bigger picture from the beginning. We get so caught up in saying "He died. Now He is risen" that we forget to tell the story from the beginning. We assume people will take what we say and agree , but they walk away confused because we fail to tell the real story , the story of Jesus. He wants to restore His people, give them hope, forgive them and continue the story.

"Christianity is about someone who rescues  you, draws you in, and then never lets go ."

I received a copy of this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment