Search This Blog

Monday, September 26, 2016

BEDWARMER'S SON by CARYL MCADOO

I am so glad I had the opportunity to read this emotional journey about slavery. Often times we forget how different it was for our ancestors as they were growing up. The story is set in the late 1800s where slaves were common and the life they endured was not always pleasant. The author has done an amazing job of taking readers to a time period and bringing it to life with authenticity. The language was true to that era and made the story so realistic.

Jasmine is a slave who has been bought to be William's bed warmer. She is beautiful, strong and I loved her attitude. I loved the description of her duties which ranged from keeping the fire going in the bedroom to bringing William a drink. The attraction to each other was gradual but so gracefully written I could picture them as they played chess . William is a handsome white  man who has a mother who is quite overbearing. The house William lived in was very grand and the staff was always kept busy. Soon it was apparent that William and Jasmine had fallen in love. Can you imagine the scandal that will bring to the family ?

Jasmine's story is both happy and sad. There was a part in the story where a beating that Jasmine had gotten was so painful to read. I could hear the whip snapping against her back and could see her body jerk as the whip made contact with her skin. The tears fell from my eyes as it reminded me of what Jesus must have felt when he was beaten. It is hard to read how slaves  were treated but the author blends the story with scriptures throughout the book to enhance the characters struggles and show their strong faith.

I don't want to give anything away but I will say the book was  the most riveting emotional  and at at times heartbreaking story about a slave who overcame many trials while continuing her strong faith in Jesus. The color of her skin bothered many, but for William, he saw a beautiful woman whose heart was pure . The story is told through the eyes of someone very dear to her. It has a bit of intrigue, surprises and most of all a woman who found strength in her faith. How often do we feel like giving up when we are going through difficult times?  The story really opened my eyes to the hardship the slaves endured because of the color of their skin. Are we guilty of judging people because they may look different or talk different?

Thank you for writing a story that made me really examine my heart . I loved the part in the story where someone gives their heart to Jesus. It was so captivating to read and filled me with joy. Find yourself a comfortable place to read and be mesmerized by the beauty of a story that will stay with you forever.

"There should never be, any person master over any other human.

I received a digital copy of this book from the author for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment