Search This Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2016

THEY DANCED ON by CARRE ARMSTRONG GARDNER

This is  a wonderful story that captures the dynamics of family. Throughout the book we get glimpses into the lives of the Darling family. The characters were very relatable and easy to fall in love with. Each character brought a different problem, emotion and importance to the story. I really didn't want it to end and yes there are moments that I felt tears coming as I read about the trials  the family faced.

Jane and Leander are the patriarchs of the family. I loved their dedication to each other and as I read that Leander had ALS, I could feel Jane gather her strength and surround her husband with love and compassion. She has a deep faith in God and assures everyone that Leander will be healed. I loved how the author showed Jane's steadfast hope in God and how she never once gave up. It would be so hard to watch a loved one go through an illness and I felt Jane was a great comfort to Leander. The author did a great job of showing what it is like to deal with a spouse's illness and how it takes the whole family to help out.

I found that each of the siblings had great love for each other and really was invested in each other's lives. The problems that the Darling family faced were real live issues that people face everyday. One of the most unforgettable  parts of the book was the relationship between Jane and her sister. Something happened a long time ago, that Ellen refuses to forgive Jane for. That bitterness has caused such a strain on their relationship . Will Ellen ever find a way to forgive Jane? What secret has  Jane  kept all these years? The dynamics between these two characters were well written and shows how deep a betrayal can destroy a relationship. The story is of a family that faces devastating illnesses, addiction and behavior issues with children in a graceful and loving way. I love how the story was written with such emotion that I felt every tear, hurt and pain the characters experienced. Get ready for a story that will bring tears to your eyes, a smile to your face and  a family that never gives up.

"There was so much of life left, both to sorrow over and to celebrate. "

I received a copy of this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment