Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2017

A CLASS OF HER OWN by JANICE THOMPSON

It is very hard for Laura to pick up the pieces of her life after the loss of her husband. She has a daughter and son that need her but there are days she can't seem to get motivated. I loved when Laura decided to go back to school to get  her Associates degree. She finds it hard to work and take classes but her determination kept her going. I did find it very funny when she runs into someone she knows in her class. Would it be awkward to be in college and find yourself sitting next to one of your children? The tension between mother and daughter was written with great emotion and realism.

Andrew Dougherty is a great history professor with some emotional baggage of his own. Andrew and Laura seem to clash a lot but it makes for some funny moments. I loved their interaction and attraction that slowly develops between them. Laura is still trying to deal with the death of her husband. She is angry at God. Can she find her way back to God? Will she forgive her husband for leaving her?

I loved this story for several reasons. I loved how the characters struggled with their relationship with God and how the author gave them feelings of anger, hurt and unforgiveness. We all have times when we become angry with God . Some of us walk away and never try to reconcile with Him. We allow our pride to take over and our hearts to harden. The story is about starting over, learning to forgive and letting go of anger. I couldn't put this book down because it really spoke to me and showed me areas where I had not  forgiven yet. I encourage everyone to pick up a copy of this wonderful story of starting over.

"He showed me that unforgiveness is like a prison. It holds us in its grip until we can't breathe."

No comments:

Post a Comment