Search This Blog

Monday, February 27, 2017

AMISH COOKING CLASS THE SEEKERS

This is the first book in a new series and it starts off with a wonderful cast of characters. The author once again has written a story that captures the essence of human spirit. I especially liked this book because it gives readers a glimpse into Amish cooking. Each character comes alive with the stroke of words that eloquently glide across the pages. I was so enthralled with the book that I read it in one day.

Heidi fills  her days with keeping a well kept home, gardening and making delicious meals for her husband. She is happy except for the emptiness of not having a child. To keep herself busy and help  bring in extra income, she offers cooking classes in her home. I know if I saw a flyer offering Amish cooking classes, I would be rushing to sign up. The author described the food that is made with such vividness that I could  smell the dishes as they were cooking.

The people that sign up for the class have come to learn how to cook, but each one will walk away with so much more. I instantly loved each character and how they all were looking for companionship, acceptance, love and encouragement. As the group started getting to know each other, there were friendships started and a bond that grows between each one.

 I found it very fascinating that Heidi and her husband , Lyle willingly  let a complete stranger park his RV on their land . Ron was my favorite character because he could be any of us who look for forgiveness and a need to be liked. He is a man who is struggling to survive and looks for help wherever he can find it. I loved how the author shows how vulnerable he really is and the secret that He has lived with for a long time. His character is very relatable because we have felt lost at sometime . Will he fit into the cooking class ? Can he open up and find the unconditional love that God has for him?

There are other characters in the book that remind us how much rejection and loneliness can affect us. Each character was written with great passion and I came to like everyone of them and cheered them on as Heidi showed them grace and compassion. This is one book you don't want to miss. I highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to read about healing,  forgiveness, friendship and His love for everyone. Don't miss the delicious recipes at the end. There are also discussion questions included that  help you dig deeper as you  reflect on your life.

"God commands us to forgive others, just as He forgives us."

I received a copy of this book from the author and Barbour Publishing . The review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment