Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

WITH FRIENDS LIKE THESE by N. J. LINDQUIST

This is my first time to read a book by this author but it will certainly not be the last. The story was so emotional at times that I had to wipe tears away from my eyes. The author captured the turmoil teens go through so eloquently. I became so engrossed in the story that I felt like I was there at the high school hanging out with the characters from the book. The author has done an excellent job of bringing a story to life and is easily one everyone can relate to. I remember going to high school and being very shy. I wanted everyone to like me, but I didn't fit in. In this story I found myself identifying with several of the characters.

Glen lives in a small town and has been friends with several kids since they were little. As he attends high school the dynamics are very different for him. He has a huge crush on Nicole but knows that Charlie likes her. I really liked the how the author showed Glen's struggle with trying to be Charlie's friend. Charlie is not easy to like. He seems to have all the girls wanting to date him and things always going his way. What was great about the story was how we are reminded not to judge others. Charlie may seem to be popular, but is he really happy? Does he feel loved by his parents?

It may seem that someone has it all together, but inside they may be fighting loneliness, pride, anger , self-worth or many other things we can't see. I loved how Glen tried to be friends with everyone but signs of jealousy started popping up. I don't want to tell too much of the story because it is one that everyone needs to read. Throughout the book we find  several characters who struggle with faith. I loved how the author shared their thoughts and how easy it was to relate to them.  Glen is such a great character and I really enjoyed watching him discover God and start to turn to Him for help. This is a great book about the many struggles teens face and how they reach out for answers. I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series.

I received a copy of this book from The BookClub Network and the author. The review is my own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment