Search This Blog

Sunday, November 19, 2017

CHRISTMAS AT CARNTON by
TAMERA ALEXANDER

I love stories that include historical facts that sweep you back in time. Their details make you feel as though you have traveled to a new destination just waiting to be explored. The author has graciously done all these things in her latest book. I couldn’t stop reading the story because it reminded me a bit of Gone With The Wind. It has a flair of that time period with characters that remind me of a time that was hard for people to endure. Many soldiers gave their lives during the Civil War.

Alettta is a young widow with a six year old son and a baby on the way. She is desperate to find work and a place to stay. I loved her sweet disposition and willingness to work hard. It wasn’t easy during this time period for women who were widows. The place she finds shelter at also hires her to work which I loved reading about. I could picture Aletta baking with contentment. One of the things I liked most about her character was her ability as a carpenter. She awed me with her vision of a project she became in charge of. Her devotion to her child was heartwarming. 

Captain Jake Winston is recovering from wounds suffered in the war. His encounter with Aletta was very intriguing. Aletta soon grows to depend on Jake to help her chores she can’t do , such as lifting lumber for her project. I laughed at Jake’s reaction when he finds out Aletta is skilled in carpentry. It was not common for women to do during this era. 

The story is very well written with characters that you can’t help but like. I have to say I really liked Tempy. She was a wonderful cook and I liked how she became aa person Aletta could talk to. I enjoyed reading about the Women's Relief Society . I didn’t know anything about them, but with the author’s detail of historical facts I realized how important they were. Will Aletta find happiness again? Can Jake recover from his injuries and return to battle ? This story is a beautiful introduction to the next book in this series. I have put on my bucket list to visit Carnton Plantation soon. I can’t wait to walk around the grounds and remember those who lived there. Don’t miss the wonderful recipes at the end of the book. This is a must read for historical fans and anyone who loves a great Christmas story filled with hope, family and love. 

I received a copy of this book from The Fiction Guild. The review is my own opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment