Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

MENDING BROKEN BRANCHES by
ELIZABETH OATES


I grew up in a very violent and abusive home. Living in fear everyday is not something you can easily get over. I never stopped praying but I sure did question why I was having to go through this. The author does address several issues through scripture which I liked. The book is more of a quiet bible study one on one with you and God. 

The moment she started talking about triggers she grabbed my attention. I have PTSD due to sever trauma. I never know what may set me off , but I know it can be terrifying. In the book she talks about memories and how they need to be shared. I did like when she said, “While the enemy wants us to suppress our pain, God wants us to release it so we can be set free.” I agree to a certain point. Of course we want to be free of our painful past, but if you are not ready to go through the memories and every emotion that comes with it, I say wait. Let God continue to heal you, let Him be the guide and He will show you when it’s time to start the healing process. 

One of the most profound things I read in this book was something I never realized I needed to do. When I became pregnant with my first child, I was over the moon excited but a little nervous. I was determined to love this child unconditionally and to protect him at all costs. I started to become worried about every little thing. I wanted to protect this child from the evils of the world. What I didn’t do was “grieve the childhood I always wanted.” I needed to cry for that little girl who was never able to be happy.

In the Bible it says to “ honor your mother and father.” I have always struggled with that since they abused me and allowed other family members to do the same. My dad was a preacher, so it became hard to see him preach every week and come home to “our little family secret.” I have forgiven my parents but there are days my bitterness sneaks back into my life. I have a long way to go , but I’m a work in progress. 

I appreciate the way the book is set up and how there are questions at the end of the chapters to dig deeper. For me this was a hard book to get through only because I am not completely there yet. I am a work in progress. I will keep this book close by and slowly take my time and allow God to guide me through “Mending Broken Branches.”

I received a copy of this book from Kregel Blogging Program. The review is my own opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment