Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

STEAL AWAY HOME by BILLY COFFEY

Sometimes I have a problem following the author's stories like this one. I couldn't figure out at first what the book was about. I continued to read and suddenly it clicked. The author has a way of getting your attention in  subtle ways. He is definitely a storyteller that weaves emotional characters into your heart.

Shantytown is a place no one wants to be from or even visit. It's where the poor reside or people from the wrong side of the tracks as we use to say. There is a  girl named Micky that lives there. She is a pretty special girl to Owen. I found it interesting that their relationship had to be a secret. Looks like some people just don't accept everyone no matter where they come from. Their relationship was a bit complex and at times I wanted to just give up on them.

I liked the baseball references and knew that Owen was destined for big things.I didn't care for his parents much. They remind me of people who go to church to be seen and love to criticize everyone. They had an attitude of being so religious I wanted to scream.  The author confuses me at times when he jumps from one time period to another. Owen wants to be in the big league with the pros and the book centers around how to achieve his dream. The story does have some redeeming qualities that make the book worth reading. One thing I could relate to was trying to get approval from a parent. It is never easy when the parent has their eyes set on what they want you to become. I've learned over the years that I don't need approval from anyone to be happy. I encourage readers to give this book a try. It will remind you that we all come from different backgrounds, but we are all equal

I received a copy of this book from The Fiction Guild. The review is my own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment