Search This Blog

Friday, September 28, 2018


The Girl on the Tombstone by Betty Weatherby Book Blast
Presented by Celebrate Lit




Back Cover Synopsis

Wilhelmina Sukovich is curious and determined to have her own By Line in the Sacramento Bee. Aged out at the Children’s Home Society orphanage, she attends night school and works herself up in the newspaper hierarchy. Her first big break comes as an assignment takes her to the small mountain town of San Andreas in the Gold Country of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. She searches out her father’s gravesite only to mysteriously be drawn to the artistry of an ancient tombstone nearby, Eliza Osbourne, 1868. Formidable ranchers and a widow befriend her in her quest to fulfill her assignment for school children and search for Eliza’s roots. World War II veteran, Charles, rescues Will from her misadventures. Who is he and why is he such a recluse? Why has he taken it upon himself to see she is safe?




Author Bio

Miss Weatherby holds a BA from California State University, Stanislaus. She earned her teacher’s credentials from Chapman University, as well as a cross-cultural language and academic development certificate from Sacramento State University.

She is an active member of Sierra Baptist Church, in Pioneer, California and travels extensively.

Betty Ruth Weatherby currently lives with her dog, Buttons, in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Visit on facebook.


Purchase link:

Social Media
https://www.facebook.com/bettyruth.weatherby
https://amzn.to/2tLIW5J



Review.jpg

I really enjoy historical books that give me glimpses into the past. This book has good characters and a story line that kept me intrigued. The setting is in the early 1950s and filled with facts that make you feel right there with Wilhelmina.She  is looking for a break in the publishing world. She has a strong determination to see her name in the Sacramento Bee. I loved how she snooped around looking for the perfect story. It was certainly hard for her to catch a break since she was new in town. 

Her background was interesting and I wondered how hard it must have been for her to grown up in an orphanage. What was it like for her to never be adopted and to not have a real family? The story gets going when Wilhelmina finds out that someone has discovered a skeleton in a mine. Will this be the big break she has been looking for? Who is the mysterious skeleton that seems to have been forgotten? If I found a skeleton, I know I would stand there in shock wondering what to do next.  The mine was damp, dirty and filled with bugs that  I don't want to think about. When a journal is found in the mine, that really piqued my curiosity. This story became my focus for the rest of the evening. I had to know who the skeleton was, what the journal said and what facts from the past Wilhelmina finds out.

The story takes us to different places and people who become very important t the story Will as she likes to be called. I loved the time she spent in the cabin  and really liked Charles. He seems kind of mysterious at times. Charles  becomes a big help to Will as she seeks answers about the past. I liked his protectiveness and how he always was willing to help Will out. I loved the twists in the story and the incredible details that made the story so inviting . It is a great adventure and I really enjoyed the many characters. The only thing I had a problem with was I wanted the story to not end. I really felt a connection with some of the characters as the history of the  families  intertwine with each other. 

I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit. The review is my own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment