Search This Blog

Monday, August 31, 2020

THE MOCKINGBIRD’S SONG by
WANDA E. BRUNSTETTER

I am really liking this series so much and glad I was able to relax and visit the characters again in this book. The story finds us seeing how the family is doing after a devastating loss. I loved reading about the greenhouse and how the family works hard to keep it running.  I am not good with plants but I enjoy looking at them. I admire people who have beautiful gardens and flowers that cascade around the yard.

Sylvia is still struggling with her loss while raising her two small children. It was nice to see how Sylvia and her younger brother took up birdwatching together. I have several bird feeders in my yard and get great pleasure watching them fly around while grabbing  seeds. I think this hobby has brought Henry a little happiness in his life. He still feels overwhelmed at times but he is slowly dealing with his grief.

I loved the introduction of Dennis to the story. He has his own grief to deal with and his friendship with Sylvia is helping both of them. The author does  a great job of slowly developing  their relationship. If only Sylvia’s mother could accept the fact that Sylvia is ready to move on with her life. I was quite surprised by Belinda’s attitude toward Dennis. Perhaps she is not ready to see her daughter move on. Dennis is a perfect gentleman but he is beginning to feel that perhaps he shouldn’t pursue the relationship with Sylvia. I couldn’t wait to see where the author would take Sylvia and Dennis relationship. I so wanted them to get together.

There is a bit of mystery in the story that I hope to see come to an end in the next book. Who is trying to sabotage the greenhouse? I haven’t figured it out yet but I am anxious to discover who it is. I also liked reading about Virginia the neighbor. That poor lady is so desperate for friends. I laughed when she started spying on Sylvia and her family with binoculars. Talk about being a nosy neighbor. She reminds me of Gladys from a show that was on many years ago. I am wondering how Virginia will fit into this story. Will she let her guard down and become friends with her neighbors?

The story has a gentle feel of faith that is just the right amount to give readers a sense of peace. The story was one I didn’t want to end. There are lessons in the book about judging, forgiveness, grief and acceptance. I can’t wait to read the next book in this lovely series.

I received a copy of this book from the author. The review is my own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment