Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 1, 2020

WRITING ABOUT THE AMISH by BETH WISEMAN

I loved this book so much and felt like I was traveling with the author as she visited Amish farms and restaurants. It surprised me about the gray areas that the Amish have with some laws they abide by. For instance, they don’t allow cell phones but can have one for a business. I thought that was strange but it is a way around being able to communicate faster.

When the author talked about her start into the publishing world I appreciated her honesty as she found her way into the genre that was special to her. The addition of Janet as her assistant is a blessing to her as well as everyone on Beth’s street team. She truly has a gift of administration and helps promote, plan and pray for Beth daily.

The pictures that are in the book really give us a glimpse into the Amish world. The author has made wonderful friends on her journey of writing Amish Fiction. It was interesting to know more about the places she write about and the people who found their way into  her stories. It was a very interesting conversation between the author and an Amish woman named Lydia. The topic was about the book Plain Perfect. Lydia was not  happy with the way Beth had portrayed the people in the community. I knew that communities had their own rules, but I thought they were all pretty much the same. The book is filled with wonderful memories of the author’s journey as she began to write Amish books, I loved the short story at the end and Beth I did notice the red suitcase in the book.

I received a copy of this book from the author. The review is my own opinion.




1 comment: