Search This Blog

Monday, August 29, 2016

THE WITNESSES by ROBERT WHITLOW

I have always been a huge fan of Robert Whitlow. Each of his books keep my attention and always has a fascinating  storyline. This book is no exception. I love reading about World War II. The author does  a great job of describing the horrors of that war. We meet Franz Haus at the beginning of the book. He is a captain in the German Army. He has an uncanny gift that proves very valuable to the General . As he realizes his gift is both powerful and special, it can also be dangerous for some. Franz decides to leave and heads to Switzerland. I loved how he became friends with a fisherman and later used that trade when he finally ended up in America. Do you think anyone will look for Franz? He was quite valuable but will he be seen as a traitor? What secrets does he know?

The story moves seamlessly through World War II to present day where we meet Franz's grandson. I thought it was interesting that Franz has changed his name to Frank House  now. He must be hiding from someone. His grandson , Parker is a trial lawyer and is doing well for  himself. I found his character to be likeable and sure of himself. One day he discovers that he has the same ability that his grandfather has. Could this be  an advantage for him at his job? Will it bring danger to him or prevent tragedies from happening? You will have to read this amazing story to find out what gift they both have.

There is a love interest in the story for Parker. Layla to me was a distraction for Parker and I'm not sure I was rooting for them to get together. She sure had a lot going on in her life, but when you are in love, you look past those problems and hopefully are able to build a lasting relationship. Will they find true love?

The story moves at a great pace and readers will not be disappointed by the scenes involving a trial. It is very dramatic, high volume action that really kept me guessing. I loved how the story was like a puzzle. You find that first piece and you begin to get an  adrenaline rush. As Frank's past start to catch up with him, another piece of the puzzle is added. A potential employer for Parker seems quite interested in  him and Frank and their shared gift. One more piece of the puzzle slides mysteriously into place. The intrigue , history , kidnapping, explosive trial all add up to a story that is action packed and filled with faith and trust. The ending was good and I can't wait to read Mr. Whitlow' s next book.

"One of the biggest mistakes of my life was misusing the gift God gave me. "

I received a copy of this book from The Fiction Guild for an honest review.






No comments:

Post a Comment