Search This Blog

Sunday, January 22, 2017

LOVE, LIES , & TYPEWRITERS by HEATHER BLANTON

Even though this book is a bit different from the authors  usual historical westerns, I was very pleased to see a book from her about an era that many people love to read about. There is something very romantic about the hero coming home from war and wanting to find his true love. The story is set in the 1940s during WWII. I loved the description the author gave of the era and with her words the story came to life right before my eyes.

Lucy was raised on a ranch and has had a crush on Dale for so long. He has just returned home from the war and through a chance meeting he saves her life. I have to say that was a funny moment in the story and I'm not sure Lucy was completely in control of her emotions. Can you imagine the man you have liked for so long, suddenly saves you from certain danger?  This chain of events starts a whirlwind adventure for both of them. Can you see the headlines that read "Local hometown hero saves damsel in distress?" Well a newspaper sees a way to get recognized with a sensational love story and gets Bryce to cover the story. Of course Bryce had others stories he would much rather be writing.  I can't tell you much about the story because I don't want to give any surprises away but I can say that it is well written with characters that each have dilemmas to work through. Will Lucy follow her heart or will fame get in the way? Can Bryce stand up to his father and follow his dream? What will Dale do when temptation offers him fame and fortune?

I loved how the author based this story on her parents life's and showed how difficult it was during that era.  The mention of bonds was a big part of the era and she cleverly found a way to show  the different ways people used to sale them. The story has a great theme about listening to God and doing the right thing. Sometimes we let pride get in the way which leads us to wrong decisions. I loved how the author took a story and made it captivating, romantic and an ending that will bring smiles to everyone.

I received a copy of this book from the author. The review is my own opinion and I was not asked to write one.

No comments:

Post a Comment