Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

ACADIAN HEARTS by DARLENE FRANKLIN

With a gentle sweep of words the author transports readers back to the late 1800s. I loved how she described the seals and fishing vessels.  Her knowledge of the history during this time was evident which brought the story more realism.  I could hear the seagulls as the boats docked with their bounty of fish. I found the story to be very sweet and lovely. Young love is precious and the author tells  Riti and Eddie's story with compassion and great faith.

I remember when I was young and had a boyfriend who I thought would be in my life forever. We were great friends at first, but quickly became boyfriend and girlfriend. Over the years he moved away and we lost touch. What I loved about this story, was how Riti never forgot about Eddie and how  much she adored him. It was interesting to see how Riti's family wanted to keep her away from Eddie. They didn't seem to think he was good enough for their daughter .

Eddie is a hard worker as a fisherman. Working on a boat is hard and dangerous work but at the end of the day, you have put in an honest  days work. I loved how Eddie befriended a seal named Petey. His compassion for animals was a nice characteristic and I thought he was a very caring person.

The story deals with religion and the different beliefs people have. I liked how the families had different views and expressed them openly. Will Eddie and Riti rekindle their love? Can Riti's family let her go and trust her to make the right decision? I loved how the story brings two people together after a long time and the things they go through to see each other. It's a great story with faith , love and trust as the main themes.

I received a copy of this book from the author. The review is my own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment