Search This Blog

Saturday, August 26, 2017

My Thoughts on A Small Town Kind of Love by
Darlene Franklin

I love stories that are clean, have wonderful characters and share God's word in a way that isn't preachy. This collection is just that kind of book. The stories are sweet, and filled with examples of how God brings people together.

Plainsong:

I thought the author did a great job of developing the characters in a way that made them seem like everyday people you know. Michelle was a little hard on herself at times . It was refreshing to read how much trust she put in God as she makes hard decisions about her life. I loved Joe instantly. He has a charismatic personality that draws people to him. The sparks fly as Michele and Joe run into each other one day. Will they give their relationship a chance to grow? Don't miss this love at first sight kinda story that made me smile . I loved the way the author took them through struggles as they each kept God first in their lives.

Hidden Dreams :

This story is so fun to read. It is set in early 1900s. We meet Mary Anne who is trying to escape to Canada. I loved her strength most of all. The author writes with a sense of survival as Mary Anne finds herself in an accident that changes her travel plans. I absolutely loved the description about Vermont. The author made me so hungry as she described maple cured bacon. The farm that Mary Anne is taken to after her accident is filled with warmth and hospitality. Wallace is like a breath of fresh air. He is kind, thoughtful and very artistic. One of my favorite parts of the story is when Mary Anne participates in the Easter egg hunt on the farm. She explains the meaning of Easter to the children in such a passionate way. I loved reading why Easter eggs are dyed red to represent the blood of Jesus that was shed on the cross.

The story is quite intriguing with someone looking to harm Mary Anne. Can Wallace keep her safe? The story has wonderful historical facts that allow readers to know Vermont better. I loved learning about different birds that Wallace was so occupied with  at times as he desired to put his knowledge of them into a book. This is a great story of trust , faith and acceptance.

To Riches Again

One of my favorite things about this author is she knows how to make a story come to life. I really enjoyed learning about the Orphan Trains. I can't imagine the sadness on the trains as the children grieved for their families. Elyssa  knows very well what it feels like to an orphan. She has such a tender heart and her love for the children is precious. She travels to Kansas to deliver the last of the orphans. I loved when she arrived at the station. The excitement as new moms and dads met their new children were a sight to see.

Elyssa has had a little doubt about one particular parent. It is most unusual for a single man to want to adopt. I chuckled as Elyssa  realizes that he is late and she starts to fret. Today of all days, Bill has an emergency on the farm  and is late  getting to the station. I don't think he made a very good impression on Elyssa. The ride out to the ranch must have been a bit strained as Elyssa is quite upset with Bill. Is Elyssa having second thoughts about Bill as the father of the two children she has for him?

The children, Ian and Bridgett are a delight. They finally feel like they belong somewhere. The story is well written with budding  romance that is guided by God. Will Elyssa take Bill's offer to stay and help with the kids? Can Elyssa learn to trust Bill? . Grab a copy if this great story and find out what happens when Elyssa and Bill listen to God for direction.

I received a copy of this book from the author. The review is my own opinion.

1 comment: