Search This Blog

Sunday, August 27, 2017

My thoughts on Upon a Spring Breeze by Kelly Irvin

Bess is a young woman who is happy and carefree until a tragedy strikes. I thought the author did a great job of walking Bess through grief and allowing readers to feel her pain and sorrow. My heart went out to Bess immediately because she had so much to deal with. Can you imagine being twenty and your life shattered before your eyes? Bess is a strong character with burdens that can be overwhelming at times.

Aidan is a very humble man who wants nothing more than to care for Bess and her child. I am a bit perplexed at why he blamed himself for the accident. It's funny how we let a decision we make turn into such a big obstacle in our life. Aidan has a lot  to get past and that could hinder him from finding happiness. The times he spent with Bess were very nice and I loved how much he respected her.

Bess wants to do her part to support herself, but there are some harsh words spoken when it is discovered that she is working away from home. I liked how the author gave us a glimpse into the rules the Amish go by. They seem to believe a woman is to stay  at home  and take care of the house and children. In Bess's heart she didn't want to go against the Bishop, but I think she needed something to feel good about. What I really liked was how strong the women were  who surrounded themselves around Bess. The story is emotional at times and does touch on a subject that some women face after giving birth. I found that to be well written and helpful .

I found the book to be very well written and loved the different emotions  and hard decisions that characters made. I want to mention about the English man that Bess met . I thought he brought a lot to the story because he was a temptation that could have had very dramatic affects on Bess. Even though she denied any attraction, I wonder if deep down she may have had feelings because he seemed to make her smile? I loved how the author gave Bess a chance to see what it could be like if she chose to go against her beliefs. The author gives readers a story that is filled with forgiveness, changes, family and a young woman who discovers that there is happiness after a tragedy.

I received a copy of this book from The Fiction Guild. The review is my own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment