Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

PORTRAIT OF VENGEANCE by CARRIE STUART PARKS

The first few pages pulled me in right away. The scene was horrific and it made my skin crawl. From that moment on, I was completely immersed in the characters and where the story would lead them. The author teases the readers a bit with the opening by giving a glimpse into the dark world of unbelievable terror. I loved the details and couldn’t stop reading.

Gwen fascinated me right away. She had survived something horrible in her childhood but seemed pretty stable and very focused on her new job. Having a specialty with the police department is quite an achievement, but not everyone is impressed with her. Did anyone wonder why she was so quick to volunteer for a case that involved the disappearance of a child? The similarities of the case and her childhood have piqued her interest. Will she be able to handle this case, or will it cause her to have nightmares? I loved the way the author described Gwen’s job as a forensic artist. As she listens to the witness, she is able to draw an image that eerily resembles the suspect.

 Her determination was uncanny and I loved her strong ability to continue on as her memories began to open up wounds that could hurt her. The tension runs high throughout the book and Gwen finds herself in danger . Is she getting to close to the truth? I really enjoyed the story and loved how Gwen stood strong on her faith. I know that is what helped her keep moving forward in finding out the truth.

This is a story that oozes with intrigue and twists that capture the writing of an exceptional author. I love her writing style and how she takes a character to the limits of danger without overdoing it. Gwen is a character that I can relate to on a personal level. Having been through something traumatic myself, I appreciate how her character was written with strength and survival. I’m glad she keeps it together and doesn’t play victim. This is one book that you must read if you love suspense and excellent characters.

I received a copy of this book from The Fiction Guild. The review is my own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment