Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2021

A CHRISTMAS COURTSHIP BY SHELLEY SHEPARD GRAY

This story is a sentimental journey of finding love at any age. I vividly remember going to the Bookmobile every summer with anticipation. I selected books that would give me a sense of adventure and joy.

 I had to laugh when Atle shuffles into the Bookmobile unsure of what he needs. His  mind is on love and how to get a certain someone to notice him. Sarah Ann chooses a book that she thinks will help Atle. A romance book wasn’t exactly what he was looking for but maybe the librarian knows best. You can tell he was a little embarrassed by the book, but I liked how he decided to read it. Who knows, maybe something within the pages will help him. 

Sadie sure has her hands full raising three children alone after the passing of her husband.  She  works very hard making wonderful treats that sell out faster than she can make them. The author does a great job of giving us a glimpse into the marriage Sadie was in. Her husband was mean and at times abusive. I don’t think she realizes how much it affected her children until the youngest starts to act out. This part of the story is very well written and shows the emotional side of abuse. Sadie realizes that she needs to find a way to let go of the past and allow her children to express how they feel about their father. 

I have to say that my favorite character is Cale. He is carrying a big burden at the young age of sixteen. Since his father’s passing, he has stepped up to help support his mother and siblings. I admire his humble attitude and how caring he is for others. His infatuation with Hope is sweet since he has liked her forever. There is an incident that causes friction between the two families and I thought Cale handled it with maturity. I especially like how he made Hope feel good about herself. 

As Christmas approaches I could feel the excitement as many were thinking of a gift to give to someone special. I held  my breath as Hope and Cale exchanged their gifts. The gifts made me cry because they were made with love and held special memories. When it came time for Atle and Sadie to give their gifts to each other, I felt warmth and a new beginning start as their presents were revealed.  This  is a book that reminds how important it is to forgive so you can be set free from bitterness and pain. This book goes on my 2021 favorite book list for the year. 

I received a copy of this book from the author. The review is my own opinion,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment