Search This Blog

Saturday, December 24, 2016

AND THE GREATEST OF THESE by JOE PRITCHARD

Mental health for some is a very hard subject to talk about. If it gets brought up, you can see people start to get uncomfortable. They don't know what to say and sometimes people are pushed aside when they desperately need help. I loved this book because it brought a tough subject to the forefront. Why are people who have mental illness classified as crazy? That is the stigma that society has labeled them. In this book the author really did a good job of letting us see the inner workings of an ER department and the procedures they use to help the mentally challenged. What if your grandparents were suddenly found at an ER and your granddad was being evaluated by the psych department?

John and Maggie find themselves on a roller coaster ride when John is examined and determined that it is in his best interest to be admitted. How do you explain to someone who is temporary not thinking clearly that he needs to stay for his own safety? It doesn't  help when you can hear staff complaining and realize you have  to leave your husband of over fifty years in their care. Maggie must have felt helpless.  I loved John and Maggie's story and the deep love they had for each other. Will they be able to get through the red tape and get John the help he needs?

I was overwhelmed with all the paperwork they had to endure and frustrations of trying to get the best care for John. Michael is a great character and I loved his bedside manners. He treats his patients with kindness and I loved how he slowly became part of John and Maggie's inner circle. His determination to help this couple was refreshing and emotional.  Some of the staff sure don't have any patience when it comes to the psych ward. It must be scary for a patient to be there and sense that no one cares. The book is very good and really details the ongoing problem with mental illness. Well John get the help he needs or will he get lost in the bureaucratic system? I was very impressed with the storyline and I fell in love with John and Maggie. There are some very emotional moments in the book that broke my heart as I felt myself sitting  there watching the story unfold in front of me. I became invested in the story and eagerly turned the pages in anticipation of what was to happen next. I would highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to understand the struggles patients have with mental illness and a doctor who cared enough to help them.

I received a copy of this book from The Goodreads Giveaway program. The review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment