Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

LEMON TART MYSTERY: AMISH SWEET SHOP MYSTERIES

Welcome back to the third installment of Amish Shop Mysteries. I am so excited to share my thoughts about this book. It was quite intriguing and I could not stop reading it. We return to the bake shop where Katie and Freida work. I loved how the author described the baking procedures that Katie worked on. I could see her working the dough and adding lemons to make special desserts for customers. The aroma of peanut butter cookies filled the shop. Can you imagine walking in and smelling fresh bread hot out of the oven? 

If you have read the previous books you may remember that there was a relationship blooming between Mrs. Simpkins and Mr. O'Neal. Well maybe I assumed they were getting closer, because it seems they are not quite talking to each other. Katie and Freida notice a distance between the two and wonder what is going on. Katie thinks she needs to interfere, oh I mean help the couple out. I loved the scene when Mrs. Simpkins and Mr. O'Neal are seen in a heated conversation right outside the bake shop. What are they arguing about? How long will it take for the town to start gossiping? 

I enjoyed how the author included something from the previous book about Katie and her fear of coming into the store early by herself. She thought she had gotten over that, but something is making her feel uncomfortable. Is there something going on with Mrs. Simpkins and the bakery? 

One of my favorite parts of the book was getting to know Freida better. She is a good person, but likes to gossip a bit. She is a big help at the bakery and wants to learn as much as she can. Freida is struggling with joining the church and getting married. I loved the talks she has with Katie about her struggles. Katie is having her own doubts about joining the church as well. Her prayers are so genuine and filled with hope. The book is a wonderful story filled with surprises that caught me off guard. I loved the theme of family, friendship and faith . This is one story you don't want to miss. Make sure you try out the recipes in the book. They sound delicious. 

I received a copy of this book from the author. The review is my own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment