Search This Blog

Sunday, July 23, 2017

THE BLESSING : AMISH COOKING CLASS

I have come to really love this series. I love how the author brings strangers together for a cooking class. They all meet in an Amish home where Heidi and Lyle live. Heidi is such a sweet and compassionate person. Her heart is full of love and kindness. After a devastating loss, Lyle thinks it is time for Heidi to teach another cooking class. The description of the Amish lifestyle is very well written and shows how much the author knows about the Amish culture.

As each student was introduced, we get a little background on their life. Each one comes from different places, but they each  were seeking, acceptance, love, friendship and for some , forgiveness. I loved how each character blended well into the story. I have to say that I wanted to be in the kitchen as one of the students. I could feel how much Heidi loved to share her cooking skills . She made everyone feel welcome and had that tender touch of listening and guiding her students to overcome their obstacles. It was nice to have a few previous students visit in the story. The author has a wonderful style of writing which brings readers right into the story. After each class, Heidi gives the students a recipe card with a scripture on the back. I loved how those scriptures impacted their lives.

I don't have a favorite character because I felt they each played a key role in the overall story. Each character has something they are dealing with that centers around forgiveness and disappointment. At the end of the book the author has included discussion questions. I loved reading them and thinking about my answers to them. As an added bonus recipes are included at the end also. I know there are several I am going to try. Overall the book was very touching and I loved how the characters were able to open up and trust each other. I am looking forward to the next book in this wonderful series.

I received a copy of this book from the author. The review is my own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment