Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

WELCOME TO THE BOOK BLAST OF HOLD ME CLOSE by
 MARGUERITE MARTIN  GRAY and presented by CELEBRATE LIT





The leisurely life Louis has intended does not include revolution.

Charles Town, South Carolina, 1772—Louis Lestarjette arrives from France without purpose or plans beyond reconnecting with family and making a profit. Finding the town questioning its alliances, Louis must make decisions about the direction in his life, even as he tries to avoid all political conflict. He wonders if he will be able to stay neutral in a battle for independence. When decisive events confront him, Louis finds himself torn between staying with the woman he loves or escaping the coming conflicts.

Elizabeth Elliott trusts that God will hold her close in uncertain and changing times. Faced with difficult decisions about her loyalties, she finds comfort in close friends, a devout sister, and her music. When the mysterious Frenchman with no commitment to God or Charles Town enters her life, he challenges her role in the political battle. She must decide what actions she can take for the cause, if any at all.






Marguerite Martin Gray is the author of Hold Me Close, Surround Me, and Bring Me Near-- Revolutionary Faith Books One, Two and Three. She enjoys studying history and writing fiction. An avid traveler and reader, she teaches high school Spanish and has degrees in French, Spanish, and Journalism from Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas, and a MA in English from Hardin-Simmons University in Abilene, Texas. Marguerite is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers, Abilene Writers Guild, Daughters of the American Revolution, South Carolina Historical Society, and Preservation Society of Charleston. She currently lives in North Louisiana with her husband.


Tweets:

“Why are you here?” I can’t tell her I only want to make a huge profit and leave this place soon. Charles Town 1772, Hold Me Close by Marguerite Gray

“Miss Elliott, I’ve stopped comparing places and people to Paris. Things here are new and fresh—not backwards or lacking.” Hold Me Close by Marguerite Gray

Louis was more loyal to his friends than to a king, any king—Louis XV, George III, or King Jesus. Hold Me Close by Marguerite Gray


Social Media:




Buy Link: Will be sent once the book is available for purchase


Review.jpg


I was very fascinated about the time period the story was set in. I'm embarrassed to say that I needed to do some refreshing in order to understand what the Revolutionary War was about. The author did a wonderful job of describing what went on during this time and I loved how I felt like I was sent back in time. When an author can do that, I know it will be a great story.

Charles Town, South Carolina is a perfect setting for this enchanting story about Elizabeth and Louis. Elizabeth is a very proper lady who is very faithful. I loved how the word was shared throughout the story and how much faith she had. I would say she was very loyal to the cause, but something or someone may change her mind.  Is she ready to fight for what she believes in? The turmoil she is facing is hard because it could go against what her father believes. The colonies have a hard road ahead and Elizabeth must pick who to follow. I loved this statement in the story which says, " These are trying times , but the Lord 's love holds you close."  Even in our darkest moments, we can rest knowing that God is right there .

Louis was very mysterious to me. Why would he travel so far away from France to a small town in South Carolina? It makes you wonder what his agenda really is. As a big party is coming up, Louis is none to happy to attend. All the goings on is not for him, but he doesn't want to disappoint his aunt and uncle. The story is very intriguing and I learned so much historical facts. I remember in school reading about the Stamp Act and now here it is in a story. It's  wonderful to read about things I never thought would be important as I grew up, but seeing it in a story makes me appreciate history so much more. I haven't quite decide if I trust Louis but I think as the story goes, his true mission will be revealed.

There are many secrets surrounding the colony and Elizabeth and Louis both seem to be having a hard time with where their loyalties should lie. The book is a story rich in history and a time were loyalty and trust was everything. I loved the characters and especially Elizabeth. Will she find her voice and speak up for women, or obey her father and fade into the background?  I did find it ironic that back then they fought over taxes and goods  and today we are still doing the same thing, Did anything get resolved? We all desire freedom and it was important then as  it still is  today. I am glad to  find out there is another book to follow and can't wait to read it.

I  received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit. The review is my own opinion.





No comments:

Post a Comment