Search This Blog

Monday, October 26, 2015

PERCHANCE TO DREAM by JoANN DURGIN

I just had the most wonderful day filled with reading a book I couldn't put down. My plans were to glance at a few pages and then come back later to read the book. Once I started reading, there was no way I could put it down. The beautiful slow development of a love between Ellie and Ryan is powerful. Can you remember when you were young, who your first love was? Ellie always knew her heart belonged to Ryan.

As their wedding day approaches, Ellie is anxious for Ryan to come home from his deployment from overseas. She spends her days with wedding details and their foundation called "Perchance Dreams."  I loved how the organization helps privide gifts for children at Christmas and there is always a special note waiting for them in the gift. The characters are giving and have such a heart for others , which shows in their everyday life.

One of my favorite parts of the whole book was her relationship with her dad. He treasured his daughter and made her feel special. Isn't that what God does for us? Ellie's dad was her first love and with that bond grew a determination to find the right man to marry. That special someone had to be like her dad.

There is another special person in Ellie's life that I came to really love to read about. Her neighbor Cora, now in a nursing home brought her many happy childhood memories. Ellie visits her frequently and sits and talks to her about things that happened as Ellie was growing up. The author wrote their  relationship with such warmth and love. It reminded me of a grandmother and granddaughter sharing sweet memories of happy times that were cherished.

The book does go back and forth from earlier days to present day , as it builds a story filled with cherished memories, unconditional love and scriptures that bring encouragement. I love the way the author writes with grace as her words fill you with joy. I saw this while reading and thought it was fitting to sum up with. "Everyone deserves to be loved. Everyone deserves to be valued. "

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the lovely review, Deana. I'm so happy you enjoyed Perchance to Dream. Many blessings to you, and thank you for blessing me. ~JoAnn

    ReplyDelete