Search This Blog

Sunday, October 25, 2015

I HOPE IT'S NOT HEREDITARY by JEDIDIAH HARTLEY

The first two chaptersof this book  had me a little concerned as I read the antics that Bobby Hartley had done. I laughed when he got the garden hose and sprayed it unexpectantly at his son and friend. What must his friend think of Jedidiah's dad? Then as I began to read further I became so engrossed in the book, that I couldn't put it down.

Bobby Hartley has been well known in the wrestling world and it became part of his identity. He was fierce in the ring and he used it as a way to handle things going on in his life. Some people take their frustrations out by running, or boxing, but for Bobby he chose wrestling as an outlet. He didn't live in a normal household, but grew up with chaos among  hints of love throughout his growing up years.

After enduring the accusations of being irresponsible as a lifeguard , Bobby seemed to lose himself. It was a burden that would change his outlook on life and a road that would lead to despair. He began to party and pull away from his family. It is amazing all the trails Bobby went through and it is a great testimony to read his total transformation. Sometimes we have to hit rock bottom, before we realize we need help.

The incredible description of Bobby's encounter with the presence of God is powerful. After years of doubt and feeling alone , he heard God speak to him. "Even when you were at your lowest, I never, ever, left your side." What a journey and role model Bobby has been for his son. We don't get to pick our family , but we can choose to honor and respect them.

I received a copy of this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment