Search This Blog

Sunday, August 6, 2017

THE CHRISTMAS ADMIRER by LAURA V HILTON

This is a quick read but full of such wonderful characters and beautiful scriptures. I loved how much faith Susanna had , even though at times she may have wavered a bit. It is hard when things seem to crumble around you, to trust God. Susanna is charming, loves her dad and has dreams of marrying Benaiah. But that all falls apart when Benaiah calls off the wedding. I can't imagine how hard it would be to see the man you love everyday knowing that he broke your heart.

Benaiah loves Susanna but can't put such a burden on her by helping raise his siblings and taking care of his grandmother and dad. I found it interesting that Benaiah didn't seem to have enough faith in Susanna to allow her to show him that she was willing to take on the role of wife and caretaker for his family. I sensed a bit of pride in Benaiah by thinking he had to do it all himself.

I was very disappointed in Susanna's dad. I found him to be selfish. When he tells his daughter that his soon to be bride is coming for a visit , Susanna was beside herself. Not only is she shocked to learn that her dad is remarrying but she has quite a few kids. Irene reminded me of a wicked stepmother who treated Susanna like a servant. The story does bring some sadness and a feeling of abandonment to Susanna. Will she do as her dad asks and follow him to Iowa to be with his new wife and kids? Can Benaiah trust God to supply his needs?  I loved the Mary and Martha comparison with Susanna. It really made me think about how concerned she was with taking care of everyone, but not taking time to listen to God. This is a great book about family, faith and learning to trust God.

I received a copy of this book from the author. The review is my own opinion.

"Love gives the other person a choice."

No comments:

Post a Comment