Search This Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2019

 THE WHITE CITY by GRACE HITCHCOCK


I love mystery books and was very intrigued by this story. We all have heard about different notorious crimes that have been committed such as The Boston Strangler. This book is based on Dr. H.H. Holmes who was known as America's first serial killer. I had never heard of him until I started this book. It is quite an interesting read and really takes you back to the late 1890s where the infamous serial killer made history. It is hard to believe that something so horrific happened that few people may be aware of. 

Winnifred is a quirky character who is determined to prove to her father that something is happening to women in the city. I was surprised that her father let her become involved in a plot to catch the killer. She has a lot of confidence and I loved her strong willed attitude to stop whatever evil was going on. 

Holmes from the beginning was a shady person. He made my skin crawl and I didn't like the way he looked at women and the secretive life he had. Winnie starts working for him and that really puts her life in danger. Thank goodness her father had the good sense to hire Jude to protect her. At times, I don't think he was such a great detective and was perhaps smitten by Winnie and didn't fully concentrate on his job. 

There is one chilling part in the story where Winnie noses around in the  basement and almost gets caught. What is Holmes hiding down there? I could feel the darkness overtake her and the creepy feeling she got as she tried to find out answers. I loved how Winnifred took advantage of every opportunity to snoop around where she worked at. She could sense Holmes was up to no good and was willing to risk her safety to find out . I was on the edge of my seat as Winnifred encountered the person she has suspected of killing people. The details are chilling and I loved how the author brought the story to a shocking ending. 

I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit and Barbour Publishing. The review is my own opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment