Search This Blog

Friday, May 3, 2019


THE REFUGE by ANN H. GABHART

I didn’t realize how strict the Shakers were until I read this book. It was forbidden to be married which seems like it goes against what the Bible says. Darcie lost her husband in an accident and is taken in by the Shakers, I know she was unsure if she belonged there. What would they say when it was discovered she was with child? The sins kept building up for Darcie but she prayed they would allow her to stay. She had no one and was desperate for a place to lay her head at night. How hard would it be for you to stay somewhere you felt uncomfortable so you would have shelter and food? I’m not sure everyone was happy with her being there. Some seemed unwelcoming and was very strict about rules.

Flynn and his daughter are in a bad position when they run out of food. Flynn knows the Shakers are near by and strikes up a deal with them for food. Maybe Flynn and Darcie can make some kind of agreement to help each other out. Is it possible for them to trust each other? The author gives us details about Shaker life that I enjoyed reading about. I didn’t know some of the rules they followed and how the women and children stayed to themselves a lot. The women did all the household chores including watching any children. I hurt for the women who couldn’t tell their own children that they were their mother.

The work to keep their community going was hard, but I did find good in many  of the characters. They were always willing to help strangers and never turned anyone away. I wonder if they hoped the people would stay and be part of them? I loved reading how the characters were faithful and how they knew they would need to leave at some point. It was refreshing to see  how much  Darcie knew about the Bible and how much God loved her. It’s a great story of trust, protecting your children and standing up for what you believe in.

I received a copy of this book from Revell Blogger Program. The review is my own opinion.




No comments:

Post a Comment