Search This Blog

Saturday, August 29, 2020

THE HAUNTING AT BONAVENTURE CIRCUS by
JAMIE JO WRIGHT

The sheer intensity of this story had me not on the edge of my seat, but in the floor leaning against the sofa. I had to be as close to the words as possible so I wouldn’t miss anything. I have only been to the circus once in my life. A friend took me and I was able to go behind the scenes and see the animals. The elephants were huge and commanded attention. There was a lot of people running around getting things ready for the big show. I noticed during the performance how hard each act worked to make their appearance perfect. It is a sight to see with everything going on at once.

The author presents a story that is a time slip which I adore. I love how the past and present collide. I am amazed how the author parallels two time periods and pieces them together  like a puzzle. Pippa is a character that I found very endearing. She has a past that has haunted her for years. She has never felt like she was loved yet she has someone who protects her from harm. The Watchman was very intriguing and I tried so hard to figure out his connection to Pippa. The Bonaventure Circus is surrounded by unexplained deaths, secrets and a mix of characters that explode across the pages. I loved being in this time period and reading how Pippa gets herself mixed up in a mystery that flows over to present day.

Chandler is very determined to prove that she can renovate the now abandoned circus depot. Right away you can sense that something  isn’t quite right as unexplained noises and shadows appear that frighten Chandler. I did enjoy reading about her strained relationship with her parents which causes Chandler to push people away. Her son is the most important person in her life and she will protect him at  all cost. When Chandler starts to find evidence that links  to the murders of the past, she puts her life and her son’s life in danger. I loved how the mystery weaves throughout the story and blends seamlessly from past to present. I was shocked at the ending and gasped as the author reveals answers to questions I had pressing in my head. I wanted to know who The Watchman was and how he fit into the killings. My interest piqued when I got close to the end and someone I never suspected did the unthinkable. This story is one of the best mysteries I have read all year. It includes faith and oh how I loved the spiritual truths the author used to help a few characters find their way back to God.

If you read only one book this year, it must be this one. It is written with depth and oozes with mystery so intense you feel apart of the story. What I really liked was the underlying theme of how we all need someone. We are loved unconditionally and are never alone. This story brings home the emotions of feeling abandoned and lifts you up to the truth that,  “We all need saving.”  “It’s the idea that we don’t that makes us fools.”

I received a copy of this book from Bethany House Publishing and the author. The review is my own opinion.







No comments:

Post a Comment