Search This Blog

Monday, April 10, 2017

A TRAIL OF CRUMBS by SUSIE FINKBEINER

I loved reading this book so much, I hated to see it end. It sure did bring back some memories for me. My granddad lived in Oklahoma. We would go there every summer and stay at his farm. As the author described the dust storm, I vividly remember going to the cellar one time when the storm started heading to my granddad's farm. The author captured the moment with clarity and I could feel the dust as it pelted my skin as I ran to safety.

What a terrifying moment for Pearl and her family that tragic day when the storm hit suddenly. I found myself screaming at Pearl to run faster as the storm engulfed her. The family is devastated by a tragic loss and I could feel the powerful emotions of the pain they endured.  I cried when the family grieved for their loss. When the decision is made to leave Oklahoma , each family member must say goodbye to their home . Can you imagine leaving most of your belongings and traveling to another state?

The author takes us to the depression era where rations are the norm for families.  They must be careful with their food and make it last as long as they can. I loved learning about this era and thought the author did a great job of making the story come to life.  Pearl has had a hard time in her short life and hopefully the move will help her move forward. It was nice to see her friend Ray join the family on their move. Ray was sad that his mom wasn't able to provide for him, but his dream was for her to send for him soon. As a mother I don't think I could leave one of my children behind. It must have been painful for Ray's mother to let her son go, but perhaps she was hoping for a better life for him. The story is emotional, and has  quite a few surprises in it.

I loved the librarian that Pearl met in their new town. She tried so hard to pick out a book she thought  was proper for Pearl to read. I did laugh at this because I remember going to the library every week and hoping I could find just the right book. When Pearl started reading The Wizard of Oz my eyes lit up. I loved that book as a child and never missed the movie when it came on TV. Pearl is such a wonderful character and I loved her strength and faith. The author writes a story that tells about a family who must have  faith , hope and love as they journey to what God has for them. I look forward to the next book that continues Pearl's story.

I received a copy of this book from Kregel  Book Tours. The review is my own opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, thank you so much for this kind review. It was so encouraging for me to read your take on the book. I so appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete