Search This Blog

Sunday, June 25, 2017

THE SWEET SMELL OF MAGNOLIAS AND MEMORIES by CELESTE FLETCHER McHALE

After reading the author's first book I was so excited when this book became available. I remember how beautiful she writes with emotions so strong you can feel it deep in your soul. I loved the description of the flood and how the characters were hopeful for a rescue boat to save them. The author goes into great detail about how devastating the flood was and how destructive it became as families lost their belongings and loved ones. I really related to this story a lot.

I know first hand what flooding can do. The water became so high on our  land that  I was afraid we would lose everything. We did lose a lot of equipment from the tool shed, our garden was destroyed and I could see snakes swimming in the waters. As I read about Jacey and Colin clinging to life on the roof , I knew exactly how they felt. It was very emotional to read about the mother and children that were with them in that fateful day. Will the family survive? The author captured the extreme danger with compassion and rich emotions that she does so well.

Jacey was such a wonderful character and I loved the hope she had in finding those children that were with her that day. She is overwhelmed when she finally remembers what happened that day. It must have been so difficult to relive that day over and over again. I liked how the author surrounded her with a wonderful friend called Georgia . I loved her spunk and her willingness to help her friend heal emotionally and physically. Will Jacey be able to find out what happened to that family on the roof with her that day?

I am most surprised how much I related to Colin. I know Jacey was a bit surprised at his new calling in life, but it seemed to fit him well. What I liked about his character was the deep scars he had from growing up with a father who wasn't around and checked out emotionally when he was there. The wounds  were deep for  Colin and I loved how the author explored the dynamics of a family revealing secrets , asking for forgiveness and letting go of the past.

Overall the story was good and I loved the struggles each character had with their past. The author did take a bit of liberty  in some areas about certain topics that readers may not care for. I will leave that up to each reader as my opinion and beliefs may differ from other. The great thing about this book is that it explores how important friendships are and that sometimes we think wrong of someone simply by misunderstanding their intentions.

"Our circumstances cloud our true feelings sometimes. "

I received a copy of this book from The Fiction Guild. The review is my own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment