Search This Blog

Monday, June 19, 2017

WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE NAKED? By WILLIAM E. COMBS

I really enjoyed how the author told the story of Adam and Eve and brought out points that made things clearer . It is one of the Bible stories that most people have heard, but not really broke down into sections that help readers understand the significance of this story. I loved how the author said that instead of looking at what they did wrong " it might more appropriately be viewed as separation or alienation." When we sin do we feel naked? I thought about that question a lot. For me, when I do something that is not of God I do sense a feeling of nakedness. I feel vulnerable and not covered in His protectiveness.

The author goes into depth about other people in the Bible who had gone against God. I loved how he explained the scriptures and gave examples to help readers visualize what the Word is saying. The author does explain that he has taken some liberties in the retelling of some of the stories in the Bible. I found it refreshing to look at a different point of view and understand about where sin came come. So many of us do wrong things  and then try to blame someone else for the deed. What would it be like if we owned what we did wrong ? What freedom would it bring?

One of my favorite chapters is when the author talks about anxiety. I have suffered from PTSD for a long time. Anxiety and depression is part of living with PTSD. It can keep you locked away so no one can get close to you. "Anxiety is  signal we do not have a solution for a given situation." When the author talked about Christ's peace and that it "remains in our hearts and minds, guarding and protecting us from the worry and anxiety normally accompanying a stressful environment," it reminded me that I'm not alone. We try to solve things on our own instead of calling on Jesus to help us.

I loved that the author included study questions at the end of every chapter. It helps readers go deeper into the Word and reexamine the chapter and apply the questions to our  walk with Christ. The book was well written and I found it to be very helpful. I look forward to more books from this very gifted author.

I received a copy of this book from the author and The BookClub Network. The review is my own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment