Search This Blog

Sunday, October 6, 2019

ONE MORE RIVER TO CROSS BY
JANE KIRKPATRICK


People have different opinions about what makes a great book. For me, it is when an author can take readers right to the place where the story is set  and can vividly feel part of the action. The characters are easy to relate to and the story flows at a pace that doesn't overwhelm readers with unnecessary facts. 

This book is exactly all the things above and more. It takes place during 1844 where travelers take off in wagons across unforgiving weather and terrain to make a better life for themselves. We can understand their struggles as the author carefully shows the danger that our characters faced. There is a large group that make a decision to branch off and take different routes. This is where the meat of the story is for me. One decision will change the lives of these men, women and children. 

The unknown is scary and I loved how they faced their trails with a steadfast faith. It is hard to read at times the many challenges they faced but with each step they became closer to their dream of a better life. I did like that the women were depicted as strong and capable of looking out for themselves and making wise decisions. I loved the historical facts that the author includes which makes the story intriguing to read. I love this time period but I'm sure I couldn't have done some of the things they had to do to survive. Overall the book is very good and gives us a look at people who traveled by wagon and overcame hardships with hope and faith of  promising opportunities.

I received a copy of this book from Revell Publishing. The review is my own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment