Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2021


 THE UNLIKELY YARN OF THE DRAGON LADY BY SHARON J. MONDRAGON

A knitting group’s change of scenery changes lives in unexpected ways
 
Margaret, Rose, Jane, and Fran had a good thing going: meet every week in the quiet of their peaceful chapel and knit prayer shawls. No muss, just ministry. That is, until their pastor boots them out of the church in his last-ditch effort to revive the dwindling congregation.
 
Uptight Margaret isn’t having it. Knitting prayer shawls where people can watch is the most ridiculous idea she’s ever heard of, and she’s heard plenty. Prayer belongs in the church, not out among the heathen masses. How are they supposed to knit holiness into these shawls if they’re constantly distracted by the public? But with no choice, the others embrace the challenge. They pack their knitting bags and drag Margaret—grumbling the whole way—to the mall with them. She can’t wait to prove them all wrong when it fails miserably, and show the pastor that she always knows best.
 
Without the familiar mold the group has been stuck in, their own losses, pain, and struggles rise to the surface. And the people and situations they encounter every time they try to sit quietly and knit are taking them a lot further out of their comfort zone than they ever imagined. Can they find the courage to tackle the increasing number of knotty issues they learn about in the community--or will the tangle be too much to unravel?
 
Sharon J. Mondragon’s debut is warm and delightful, full of real laughter, grief, and personality. It beautifully illustrates the power of women across generations to reach people for Christ.
 
To read an excerpt of The Unlikely Yarn of the Dragon Lady click here.



Sharon J. Mondragón writes about the place where kindness and courage meet. Her debut novel, The Unlikely Yarn of the Dragon Lady (originally titled The Heavenly Hugs Prayer Shawl Ministry) was the 2017 winner of the American Christian Fiction Writers Genesis award in the Short Novel Category, and she has also been recognized by The Saturday Evening Postwhere her short story, “I’ll Be Home for Christmas,” was an Honorable Mention Awardee in the 2014 their Great American Fiction Contest.
 
Mondragón has been active in prayer shawl ministry since 2008 and currently serves as facilitator for the prayer shawl ministry at her church, St. Paul Episcopal in Waxahachie, TX. She also knits with the Circle of Healing at Red Oak United Methodist Church. She is a Level 2 Certified Knitting Instructor through the Craft Yarn Council and teaches beginning knitting at a local yarn store.
 
Mondragón is the mother of five grown children and has four grandchildren. After 26 years as an Army wife, she has settled in Midlothian, TX with her hero/husband, her laptop, and her yarn stash.
 
Visit Sharon Mondragón’s website and blog at www.sharonjmondragon.com and follow her on Facebook (Sherry Mondragón) and Twitter (@SJ_Mondragón)

MY REVIEW
This book has been a joy to read. I found myself laughing at some parts of the book. There is a small group of women  who meet every Wednesday morning at the chapel of their church to knit prayer shawls and pray. It is a wonderful ministry and everyone gets along so well. But trouble is coming when a suggestion is made to go out into the world and do their ministry to reach others. Oh my did a certain woman get her feathers ruffled.They have always met in the Prayer Chapel.  Margaret is in charge of the group, well at least  she thinks she is. Some people are set in their ways and change bothers them. 

I loved when they decided to meet at the mall. What a great opportunity for them to pray for people and also share Jesus with them. Their knitting attracts a lot of people in the mall and soon they are asked to pray for a young girl who wants to get a good grade in college. I loved how she was welcomed by the ladies and made her feel at ease. The group encouraged those they talk to to come visit their church. There are sone very tender moments in the story where a young woman comes to them for prayer. She is a single mom to be and wants to learn to knit. She has purple hair which bothers no one in the group but Margaret. 

Each person they  meet is there for a purpose. They need a kind word, a prayer or just someone to talk to. I know if I saw a group knitting at a mall I would stop to talk to them. My mother knitted and crocheted all the time. This story brings back memories of my mom knitting this beautiful blanket for me. I was so surprised because she never  bought  me a present or gave me anything in my entire life. I cried as I felt comfort come  over me. I can still remember her handing it to me and hugging it for a long time. 

Each woman in the group has their own struggles and I loved getting to know them. These women  are supportive of each other and pray without ceasing. I wonder if they realize they are bringing people to church by their ministry at the mall?I loved getting to know each woman in the group and their own personal stories. I adored Margaret because she needed healing just as much as the woman she started visiting in the hospital. Their time together brought tears to my eyes.

 This story is a reminder that  we should all go out into the world and pray for each other. There are lonely people, hurting people, unloved people and the list goes on. We need to be like the ladies in the knitting  group and find where God wants to plant us. It’s time to be His  hands and feet. I’m encouraged by this book and know when I’m out or even talking on the phone I will tell my family and friends how much they mean to be. 

I now understand why I am drawn to blankets. They comfort me and I feel hugged by them. Something my parents never did. I may not have a prayer shawl but I do know that I will be looking for a new blanket to add to my collection. I need a hug from a special blanket and I know that  God has the perfect one for me. 

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and Reading With Audra Blogging Program.







 







No comments:

Post a Comment