Search This Blog

Saturday, November 14, 2015

UNLIKELY REBEL by KELLI GOTTHARDT

I loved the transparency that the author displays throughout the book. After marrying her husband Richard, it seemed like she was propelled into every ministry possible. She said, "Every Sunday our worth was measured by how many people showed up at our meetings. Every event was a gauge of our leadership and spiritual effectiveness, and other churches were viewed as competition." I can relate to that statement very well . It seems like churches are competing against each other and sometimes the congregations are told not to speak to other churches because it would show disloyalty to the pastor.

Like many of us, the author found it hard to say no to ministries and soon found herself overwhelmed and spiraling out of control.  Her willingness to share about her depression was very helpful. Many people think that a pastor's wife has it all together. You are held  almost on a pedestal and constantly being watched . There are people just waiting for you to stumble.  As she describes the incident on the beach, I laid the book down for a minute. For any of us who have been sexually abused, we are always quick to blame ourselves. We learn to not trust and continue to find approval from others. I felt like I was reading my own story and  all the pain and hurt surfaced to the top. Then I read this ," The scars of my past were quickly loosening their grip on my life."

As soon as I saw this book being offered to review, I knew this book was for me. I grew up as a pastor's kid and later I became extremely involved in church. I wanted people to like me and help everywhere I could. I soon became the Children's pastor and then my downfall came. I was so overwhelmed with everything, I couldn't find my way . This book has been an inspiration to me and has encouraged me to continue to say no and feel ok about it.

Thank you for writing a book that has opened my eyes to lies that I have  been told, and to empower me to seek God, love myself and know that I don't need anyone's approval. The only approval I seek is God. You have given me a new beginning and I feel free to let go of the past and move forward where God wants me to be.

"Let the redeemed of the Lord tell their story." Psalm 107:2

I received a copy of this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment