Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

All SHE LEFT BEHIND by JANE KIRKPATRICK

Stories that take me back to a different time period always pique my interest. Even though Jennie Pickett didn’t seem to have much self esteem she did possess a dream. It wasn’t a dream that most women were encouraged to have. The though to have a lady doctor in the late 1800s was not very popular. It reminds me of the show Dr. Quinn. I loved that show because despite what the men though of her in town, she opened her own practice. Just like Dr. Quinn. Jennie was determined that she would become a doctor. Her strength to overcome so many obstacles was encredible to read.

She does give the elderly woman the best care possible when she finds out she is ill. When the woman dies Jennie is heartbroken and wonders what her widower and son will do know. Is it possible that Jennie has developed feelings for the widower?
The best part of this story is that it is based on a true story and the author really shines with the research she did to make the story authentic. As with all her books, the author writes with a style that captures each character and builds them slowly to be an intregal part of her beautifully written story. Jennie does have some bad luck when it comes to marriage, but perhaps that will change when she meets Josiah. He is a welcome addition to the story and encourages Jennie to fulfill her dream. I loved how the author brought up some hard subjects that some people are uncomfortable talking about.

Jennie had a big heart and wanted to treat everyone who was ill. She recognized the need to address alcoholism, and abuse. I can’t imagine the turmoil she went through as she spoke to patients who were afraid to speak up. Would you be willing to help women and children find shelter for them knowing that some didn’t approve? I found the book te quite a journey and loved how the author took us to many different scenarios that Jennie faced. Will she find true love again after getting hurt before? Will the community recognize her as a well respected and gifted doctor. I keep thinking about the scripture that says, “Treat your neighbor as you would want to be treated.” I think Jennie heard her calling on her life and wanted to treat the sick, because she would want the same for herself if she was ill. I loved her character and she will be one I remember for a very long time .

I received a copy of this book from Revell Books. The review is my own opinion.

1 comment: