Search This Blog

Sunday, November 5, 2017

  A TIME TO STAND by ROBERT WHITLOW


I’m trying to gather my thoughts after finishing this outstanding book. The story could be taken from the front page of any newspaper. A young black man is shot and a white police officer is responsible. This seems to be the hot topic right now as tension is high among people. The author wtites a story that shows both sides of this controversy and digs deep into your emotions. 

I liked Adisa right away because she wanted to do right for her client no matter what race either one of them were. She knew there would be speculation from reporters why she was representing Luke, the police officer involved in the shorting. Being a black woman and defending Luke did cause some backlash, but her integrity was very impressive. The story is very tense at times and I loved how the author showed how someone can be unbiased no matter what race they are.

It was interesting to see how divided people were on this shooting and Adisa was determined to stand up for the truth. I loved how the author explored racism in a way that makes us think how easy we jump to conclusions just by looking at the color or one’s skin. I encourage everyone to read this book and examine ourselves. Are we guilty of being prejudice?

“If you want to stamp out prejudice, there has to be an admission that it exists.”

I received a copy of this book from The Fiction Guild. The review is my own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment