Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2018

A LOVE FOR LEAH by AMY LILLARD

I really enjoyed reading the difference between the Amish and Mennonites. I didn't realize how much more modern thinking the Mennonites were. It was so interesting to get to know more about their culture. There is a saying I have heard before that fits this story perfectly. The saying is "Opposites Attract." I just wonder if Leah believes that?

Leah is Mennonite but her family is Amish. She is very independent and sure doesn't mind speaking her mind. I loved her ability to take up for herself and loved the times she shared with her family. Her shop is prosperous and seems to being going well for her.The question is , is she really happy?

Jamie is a great character and I admired his dedication to his nephew. When they move next door to Leah's family, they welcome him except maybe Leah. He sure has his hands full trying to make friends with her. They think differently and Leah is quick to give her opinion of how Jamie can best help his nephew Peter. This makes for some heated arguments that cause friction between them. I loved how the author talked about faith and how one of the characters questioned if they had enough faith to trust Him. It is hard sometimes to wait on God, but I find when I don't I mess things up.

The story gets exciting when Jamie's ex- girlfriend shows up unannounced. Is that jealousy I see on Leah? Deborah doesn't take no for an answer from Jamie and continues to persuade him to come back home and marry her. I loved how the author brought out the tension between them and how Jamie turned to God for answers. It's a great story that shows how much someone is willing to fight for the person they love. Leah has so many reasons why her and Jamie won't work out, but will she turn to God to help her discover what is best for her?

There is a part in the story that really intrigued me. It's a very unique way to share God's word and I thought it was such a great idea that I have decided to do it as well. There is nothing better to know God hasn't forgotten you when you discover an unexpected word from Him in  a way you never expected. Jamie has a lot of anger about his nephew  not willing to speak. Can someone show him that God is the answer?

I loved the story for several reasons. The author showed us the differences between Amish and Mennonite beliefs but the bottom line she emphasized is that we all love God. Jamie and Leah came from different backgrounds but the author elegantly delivered the message that God is who they serve and believe in. Is it possible for two different beliefs to come together and marry? I also liked the pulling apart between Leah and Jamie. There were times I thought they needed a time out. It reminds me of my husband. We are so opposite and boy does he have his hands full with me, but unconditional love prevails. I won't tell you if Leah and Jamie get together, but I will say that this is the best book the author has written.

I received a copy of this book from the author. The review is my own opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment