Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

THE RELUCTANT BELLE by BETH WHITE

I know you shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover, but in this case I absolutely did. The cover grabbed my attention and without reading the back cover I was already sold on the book.

Joelle and her sisters are taking on a big endeavor by opening their home as a hotel. Just after the war has ended may not be the best time, but Joelle is a  determined woman. She is one fierce woman who doesn’t back down from anything.  There are no quitters in the family so it has to be prosperous.

What I found  intriguing was her articles that she was writing about the KKK. Does she know how dangerous this is? What if someone finds out? I love how Joelle wants the sane treatment for everyone and will step on toes as she moves forward with her articles that can cause hatred and danger. I admire her for sticking up for what she believe in.

The post Civil War era was at times confusing to me but the author has done her homework. She helps readers understand what is going on and brings her characters to life. I’m on the fence with Schuyler as he has seen both sides of freeing slaves. Has his heart changed? The author does a great job of showing how each character is struggling with their faith and learning to trust each other and Him.

I learned a lot of historical facts while reading this book. There were a few things I didn’t know about which helped me understand the struggle of slaves being truly free. There is a very shocking murder that takes place in story  that will affect several characters. Will hearts be soften to the plight of the people who want to be treated as equals? Can Joelle and Schuyler begin to trust each other? Be sure to catch their banter and have a few laughs as they try to keep their pride in check. The story is a wonderful display of treating others as you would like to be treated. There is danger along the way, but their faith will help them make the right choices,

I received a copy of this book from Librarything’s Early Readers Review group. The review is my own opinion.

1 comment: