Search This Blog

Friday, August 6, 2021


 


CATCH ME IF YOU CAN BY CAROLE BROWN 

The big cat sat on the oversized rock, ears pointed toward the sky, every muscle taut, every sense at the ready. “S-s-shut up and f-f-forget it! You’ve s-s-seen nothing and know nothing! I won’t warn you again. G-g-got it?”His head swiveled, his ears twitching as if catching the hint of threat in the whisper. A soft hiss slid from his open mouth and reinforced the overtone of evil pressing in upon the scene… Coaxed into finding the animal killer at Jamieson’s Outfitters, Tara Layne, with her sidekick, Boet, is welcomed by a threatening whisper and the unfriendly eyes of a gruff manager. Within hours, lies and dark secrets are slithering all over the campground. Intermingled with her search, Tara deals with her own buried secrets when a strange old Native American probes into the recesses of her heart forcing her to face her bitter feelings. And Wesley Clarke, manager/guide, both interesting and frustrating, holds an attraction for Tara that is primitive and exasperating.When Tara gets too close, she finds herself—and Boet—the target of someone who’s determined to keep from getting caught. His theme: Run as fast as you can, you can’t catch me.The question: Can Tara run fast enough to catch this real-life gingerbread boy before he decides to get rid of her and Boet.


Carole Brown's debut novel, The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman, is a 2015 Book of the Year in General Fiction from Christian Small Publishers, an RWA Oklahoma International Digital Award 2nd place winner, a Clash of the Titles top three finalists, a Selah Award finalist in debut novels, and a semi-finalist in the Genesis contest. 

Besides being a member and active participant of many writing groups, she enjoys mentoring beginning writers. She loves to weave suspense and tough topics into her books, along with a touch of romance and whimsy and is always on the lookout for outstanding titles and catchy ideas. She and her husband have ministered and counseled across the country. Together, they enjoy their grandsons, traveling, gardening, good food, the simple life, and did she mention their grandsons? 

I'd love to connect with readers at: 

Personal blog: http://sunnebnkwrtr.blogspot.com/ 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CaroleBrown.author

FB Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/183457429657732/ 

Amazon Author Page: https://amzn.to/38Ukljnhttps://amzn.to/38Ukljn

BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/carole-brown

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/browncarole212/?hl=en

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/sunnywrtr/boards/

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5237997-carole-brown


MY REVIEW

Wow!! This story is definitely the author’s best to date. It is somewhat mysterious, a bit creepy but oh so intriguing. I loved Tara and her determination to find out who was killing animals on a place her friend owns. The setting is in the  woods where wild animals abound. They are free to roam but someone is doing something sinister to them. Tara is there to investigate but she senses a bit of tension among the workers. Someone knows something and I couldn’t wait to turn the  pages to find out what was going on. 

I felt shivers go down the back of my neck as Tara faces danger as clues are found. I need to stop here for a minute and mention a very important part of this story, Tara has an unusual partner who is intelligent and keeps close to Tara. I have never heard of a Savannah cat before so I looked it up. They are beautiful animals with an instinct to be on the go a lot. Boet’s  presence in the story is fascinating and I loved how important this beautiful animal is to Tara. 

Whoever is behind all the killings is in power and thrives on it. Their agenda is not quite defined yet but I anticipated their every move. The author is very polished in keeping readers guessing and I decided I needed to bring out my journal to take notes in. I had started a list of suspects in my head, but now they needed to be on paper so I could play detective. 

The action really picks up as more unexplained accidents happen and mysterious notes start showing up to scare a certain someone away. I was by this time on the edge of my seat. Can Tara track down the killer before another senseless animal is killed? The author has a few surprises in store for us that shocked me. Did I figure out who the guilty person was?  No but that just shows me how good she is at keeping readers in suspense til the very end. I don’t think I will ever look at a gingerbread man the same again. 

I received a copy of this book from the author and Celebrate Lit. The review is my own opinion. 












 




1 comment:

  1. Totally love this review! One of my favs! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete