Search This Blog

Thursday, October 14, 2021

 THE SECRET KEEPERS OF OLD DEPOT GROCERY BY AMANDA  COX


I could not put this book down until I read the last page. It was such a wonderful dual time story that had my emotions all over the place. The first thing I noticed was the cover. It screams of the days when soda shoppes were popular and family stores were prospering. The author does an excellent job of combining time periods together to create a journey of secrets, loss, family and unconditional love. 

It is hard to pick out which time period I enjoyed more. When we are introduced to Glory Ann, I loved reading about her first love and how happy she was if only for a brief period. The author talks about the Vietnam War and the tragedy that families faced as they received news of the death of loved ones. Glory Ann was broken into pieces when the love of her life was killed in the war. I was quite upset when her parents were more worried about their standing in the community than what their daughter was going thru. 

When we travel to the present we are introduced to Rosemary and Sarah. I loved the dynamics between these two characters. They both have suffered loss but there is a strain between them. The store brings them back together as decisions  need to be made that will upset Sarah’s grandmother. There is much between these three generations with secrets that will have lasting affects on everyone. The emotions are felt deep within the soul as we travel from a marriage of convenience, the Vietnam War, unexpected pregnancies and family history that holds the key to long hidden secrets. I appreciate the author highlighting what soldiers experience in the war and how an idea is formed to help those coming hone. 

I don’t want to give anything away, because like me I’m sure readers want to experience everything first hand as they open the pages of this book. With hard days ahead for one young couple we see the imprint it left on the family generation after generation. It was almost like the three women had similar lives but slightly different in how they handled their problems. The best part of the book for me was the brokenness that was felt as these three women face their past and repair family relationships. 

I received a copy of this book from Revell Reads Blogging  Program. The review is my own opinion.

1 comment: