Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2022


   THE SUGARCREEK SURPRISE BY WANDA BRUNSTETTER 

This has been such an enjoyable story with some familiar characters. Lois and Orley run an antiques store where treasures can be found. When you walk in you feel like you are family. I adore this couple and their love for God. They play a big part in this story by sharing wisdom and friendship to a young man named Paul. 

Lisa has suffered a great loss in her life and even today she still carries the emotional baggage from that tragic day. Living with her grandparents since childhood has given her a place to feel somewhat  safe. I wanted Lisa to open up more to people but she has guarded her heart all these years because she doesn’t want to get hurt. She has this fear that she will be abandoned if she lets anyone get close to her. Have you ever experienced a loss in your life? I can relate to Lisa although it certainly can keep you from finding happiness. 

Paul is a character that I couldn’t help but like. He is such a gentle spirit and wears his heart on his sleeve. His attraction to Lisa is obvious but he has his work cut out for  himself if he wants to court Lisa. I liked that they knew each other when they younger and someday Paul hopes Lisa will remember. I’m not sure I understand why Lisa reacted the way she did when she overhears a conversation about her and Paul being friends when they were children. Poor Paul is really upset because he never wanted to hurt Lisa. Her reaction was a little over the top but perhaps it is because she feels betrayed by him. 

What I really liked about this story is how it has a solid faith foundation and is illustrated by the characters going to God for guidance. Lisa’s  anxiety has caused her to close herself off from everyone. When she does this it keeps her from finding happiness and learning to trust. Paul at times walked on eggshells around Lisa because he also doesn’t want to be hurt or cause Lisa to shut him out of her life.

The story is one that I  learned a few things from. I didn’t know that you could use marshmallows to hide a pill in to get your dog to take their medicine. Lisa’s dog showed us how to overcome obstacles and be content with our lives. The characters taught me to be open with others and learn to trust God more. The ending is beautiful and gives me a look at what can happen when you allow God to heal you emotionally.

I received a copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and the author. The review is my own opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment