Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2016

PARENTING 101 vol. 2 (SPOKEN FROM THE HEART) by CHERI SWALWELL

I really enjoyed this book so much. Even though my kids are grown , I could still relate to many of the topics. One that really stood out was being overprotective. I am known as a helicopter  mom. When  they were younger I was me so close to them they could hardly breathe. All three of my kids had asthma or allergy problems. We made many trips to the ER and ICU. I prayed for  healing and peace. I finally realized what I needed to prayer was  to have faith in God and  to trust Him. After all they were his children, and He would always protect them. I have gotten better over the years, but I still worry about them. I'm sure I always will .

I enjoyed the section on messes. I can't count the times I "covered" for  my kids when they messed up. I wanted to be super mom and do everything to help them. As they grew up, I saw that I wasn't letting them learn from their mistakes. I encourage parents to let your children make mistakes. They will learn from them and you will see well balanced children with confidence in themselves.

Everyone one of us wants to be accepted. That is true also with  our children. They want to hear what a great job they are doing. It builds their confidence and shows them that their parents recognize the success they are making as they grow. It's hard not to help them along, but the best thing is to let them learn as they grow. I loved how the author encourages us to enjoy our children, watch them grow and set good examples for them. I've often heard that kids imitate what they see and hear. If we as parents are leading a Godly life and correcting our children when necessary, then they will have that instilled in them.  I loved the writing style that was graceful and filled with wisdom . Thank you for writing such a beautiful book that helps us to be more focused on God and our children.

I received a copy of this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment