Search This Blog

Thursday, May 4, 2017

ANGELS' SHARE by JAMES MARKERT

I wasn't really sure about this book at first. I felt kinda lost and wasn't understanding what the book was about. I'm glad I kept going because slowly the author starts to develop characters that come alive. I loved the history behind prohibition and the era it was set in. In the woods of Kentucky lies distilleries. The people are glad that prohibition is over and they are ready to crank up the distillery again. Now who is going to run it?

Can you imagine running a distillery to pay bills, put food on the table and have  spending money? There  were plenty of people who depended on their craft but when the FBI came in and closed them, it must have been a real hardship. The story focuses on a family who has decided to start their distillery up again. The characters are interesting and I really liked the biblical reference to the story of Jesus. Some poor lost man  dies and people believe he will arise again. There sit twelve believers much like the disciples waiting for the miracle to happen.

The town is a mixture of characters and for some reason I just could not follow the story. Who is this person who everyone believes is a miracle? Could it be Jesus they were witnessing with their  own eyes? People in the town believe this man is making miracles happen. There is mystery , people running from the law and a man many claim could be Jesus. In this little town they need a miracle to keep it running. Asher is a great character who will play a very intricate part in this story. Who is he really? Did he come to help the town? The book is quite different but one that is worth reading.

I received a copy of this book from the Fiction Guild. The review is my own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment